Thursday, December 20, 2007

May in Malawi :)

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

May in Malawi :)

"The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it." - James Truslow Adams


Friends and Family, hello!!

Well, to begin with, I want to tell you that there's someone on the other side of the planet who is thinking about you often, and so thankful for the ways in which you are supporting her time away! (That's me, in case I had stumped you!)

The days have been beautiful here in the big MW. A silly highlight is that I've worked up the courage to shop in the outdoor fruits and veggie market. I wish there was a way to describe it to you, but just take my word for it that even for someone like me, it takes a little extra courage to go there each week! It's a unique part of the Malawian life that I am thankful to be able to take part in, and, well, nothing compares to their avocados! yum!

As with each letter, man oh man I just wish you could meet my students! They are truly a joy to spend my days with here. I'd like to think they are the best class ever, but I know I am biased. Our new focus this term is MATH...! I'm always surprised by the strength these kiddos show to persevere in their learning, even when things don't come easily to them. We were able to share the song "You Never Let Go" by Matt Redman with the rest of the lower grades at chapel last week. That song carries such an encouraging message about the fact that God's love is right there with us, no matter what we're going through, and we had some great discussions centered around that truth. I tell you, these kids are going somewhere! Each morning, we pray that God would be growing us into young men and women who will make a difference. As I look out on their faces, I truly know they will. Many of my students are currently involved in an orphans outreach. We go to a nearby orphan home run by Children of the Nations and spend time reading and playing with the 30 children who live there. It's a powerful time for all of us!

You know, I often consider the idea that what I'm doing here isn't really a big deal at all. I'm just teaching, for crying out loud, and you can teach anywhere. Why should anyone care that I am teaching in Malawi? The thing is, my student's parents are here in Malawi to make a difference. They are doctors for the downtrodden and they are government officials working to change Malawi from the inside out. The work they do is unique to this country and its specific needs. (By the way, Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world and over half of the population lives on just $1 a day. One million people here live with AIDS, and they are no strangers to the dangers of Malaria and other diseases.) I feel lucky to be here as a support to the other missionaries, to my student's parents who are making an immediate impact in this corner of the world. Please understand that when you are supporting me to be here, you are not just supporting me! If you have not yet taken the time to do so, I ask that you would please pray about supporting me to be here. (I've included the mailing info for any checks at the end of this e-mail, along with a brief list of a few other things you can be in prayer for!) Thanks lots and lots for those of you who have been praying for me! It is an encouragement and I promise that your money is making a difference here! I pray often that you will be richly blessed for your generosity!


In joy, Lisa



In the following days and weeks, will you please join me in prayer about these concerns?

* More teachers than usual have been getting sick with the flu and with malaria. Please pray for our health and stamina to finish out these last 5 weeks of school!


* Please pray for endurance and joy for my students as they finish 5th grade.

* Join us in prayer that God will be growing these students into young men and women who people who will make a difference in the world!

* I need $2,300 to be able to come home this summer. This will be my only chance to see friends and family for another year, and I have a lot I would like to do to prepare to teach 6th grade here next year. Please pray that the money will come in, and that my time at home this summer will be restful and productive!

*I need $800 - $1,000 per month to cover my expenses here next year. The money goes to my rent, groceries, insurance, transport (including a plane ticket home for when my time here is over) and other daily needs. Please pray about supporting me once or monthly, and please pray that enough money would come in so I can stay out here!

Addresses:

One time and monthly support checks can be sent to:
African Bible College, Inc.
P.O. Box 103
Clinton, MS 39060

(just mention my name in on the memo. If you are able to donate monthly, please note that on the memo line as well. All donations are tax deductible, so that's awesome! And thanks! )

My mailing address:
Lisa Kowalski
c/o ABC Academy
PO Box 1028
Lilongwe, Malawi
Central Africa

Photos and fun, updated every now and then:
http://lalalady911.myphotoalbum.com




hey, one last thing: Zikomo - thanks. lots. :)

No comments: