Thursday, December 20, 2007

the prayer letter that is brief like...?!?

Monday, October 22, 2007

the prayer letter that is brief like...?!?

Friends and family! Blessings, happiness and hello!

The prayers of the righteous are powerful and effective (James 5:16) and since prayer is the shortest distance between you and me (Bonhoeffer), I'd like to send a prayer update this month. Thanks for partnering in the work going on here in Malawi through your prayers and support!


Praises

*We have completed our first of four terms at school! The students have been working hard and growing in knowledge. We recited James 1:1-21 to the rest of the upper school students at our last chapel, and WOW! I wish you all could have been there - the kids rocked it!

*I had an optional field trip for my students and their families to hike a local mountain a few Saturdays ago. The invite attracted 18 people, and half of us, including 2 of my 3 students who came, made it to the top! It was a terrific day to be in God's great outdoors! And another praise - it hasn't been sweltering hot here yet! We've only been in the high 80's and low 90s. And the best news of all...? After waiting only 7 school weeks, they have finally installed ceiling fans in my classroom! Now we can face the real heat waves with a bit more courage! (This seems an appropriate time to mention the fires in So Cal; let's be in prayer about that craziness, ok?)

*We have had this past week off as a mid-term break, which has been a refreshing time of rest and fun, but also a strong reminder of why I am here - I really just love being in my class with my kids! I'm excited to get the new term rolling with them next week. Anyway, praise God for the relationships I am blessed to be a part of here on campus, and for the safety he has covered us with as we travel on these dangerous Malawian roads.

*The generator for part of campus that I live on has been fixed, and so has the internet for my home! It's incredible to think that I've had mostly consistent electricity and internet for about 3 weeks now - wow!


Needs and Prayer Requests


*Well, you see... Rachel my Plummer would be proud of me... Lately I've been learning more than I ever cared to know about plumbing and city water and reserve water tanks and bucket showers... This is a problem that has been persisting since long before I arrived, and to be fair, I sort of knew what I was getting myself into. I didn't know how creative I could get with a lack of water, or that convenient hygiene would be a blessing rather than a given. Please pray that a solution would be reached and put into place sooner rather than later!

*It has become apparent that there is a severe shortage of an essential nutritional product on the shelves of Malawian grocery stores. As this product has given me the ability to function beyond my own capabilities at times, I find this news troubling. With much concern, I ask you to keep this need of mine, and the whole continent's actually, in prayer so that we might find ourselves receiving the full benefits of our nutritional supplements. The product of which I speak, you ask? Mt. Dew, of course! How silly of you to even wonder! ;)

*On a more academic note, this week is I am holding parent teacher conferences. I always anticipate the time to focus on each child individually with the people who love them the most. Please pray that these meetings would be effective in connecting with the families and meeting my student's academic needs now, as well as in preparing them to become young men and women who make a difference in the world!

*With a few of our teachers pregnant and due in the spring, we are beginning to look for teachers to come finish out the school year with us. We're looking for a pre-school teacher, and an upper school teacher to cover a variety of subjects. We are adding another 2nd grade class next year, so we're looking for a teacher for that position, too. If you or anyone you know might be interested in joining the ABCCA fun, talk to me!

*Thanks so much for making my time here possible! I am still raising support for $800/ month + the cost of a flight home. Your monthly support and one time gifts are directly impacting the lives of students and their families here at African Bible College Christian Academy. Thanks for making that a priority! Isn't it cool to see God work through you?!?


With that, thanks thanks thanks for being my far-away-friends! You are loved and missed! (Especially on your birthdays, all you who have been celebrating lately!)


Through Him,

Lisa Kowalski
ABCCA 2007 - 2008


How can I contribute to this ministry? - http://www.africanbiblecolleges.org/dir_kowalski_lisa.asp
What am I supporting, anyway? - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3775214202663584994
I know Lisa's been working a lot, but has she been having any fun there? http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=20376755

No comments: